Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Dog Lovers Story

Jazz on chemo, age 3

Yesterday morning I was reading a story in the New York Times Well Blog about one man’s journey with the cancer treatment of his beloved dog.  Boy it brought back a flood of memories for me.

Anyone who knows me knows what a dog lover I am. I bring my dog to work, and just about everywhere else that I go.  I decided to briefly share my similar story in a comment on the NY Times Blog and while writing it my eyes started to tear up.  My dogs sure move me and I thought I’d share some of my story here with you, my blog friends.  It’s also a great chance for me to show you some pictures of my beloved pets too.

The New York Times article is titled Chemotherapy For Dogs.   My comment on the post :

Oh this brings back memories of my first beloved great dane. He developed a ‘large cell’ tumor at the age of 2 years. It developed 8 weeks after a routine vaccine, at the vaccine site. He had always had some immune issues, suffering from chronic rashes – probably from the genetic fragility you allude to due to breeding. I loved this dog and we did chemo. Well, the side effects included the usual intestinal misadventure and with a large dog that means a big mess. It’s also hard to get a large ill dog into and out of the car. We did it for months until he was in obvious pain, his quality of life gone and I know in nature he would have given up. It still brings tears to my eyes just to write this.

My first dane, Jazz was a blue dane.  I raised him from a puppy. He was beautiful, intelligent and all about me;  I was his person, no doubt about it.  His cancer happened young and took him quickly.  We put up a valiant and painful fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment